Semi lockdown: updates from Italy, November 2020
Greetings from Verona!
Well, Italy is back in a partial lockdown and restrictions are back in place all over the country. Here in the Veneto, we luckily in the zone classified as ‘moderately affected’; the yellow zone. What does that mean?
- Travel restrictions: During the day, in the yellow zone, we have no regional travel restrictions, but the national curfew starts at 10pm; orange and red zones have more strict in-region travel in place.
- School: Distance learning for upper secondary schools (high school). For now, nursery schools, kindergartens, elementary, and middle schools are all in-person. For orange zone regions, it is distance learning for upper secondary (high school) with in-person allowed for nursery schools, kindergartens, elementary and middle schools. Red zones have distance learning starting for nursery schools, kindergartens, elementary, and middle school.
- Restaurants and bars: Open from 5am to 6pm; maximum four people per table (unless they are all living together), after 6 pm it is forbidden to consume food and drinks in public places and open to the public. This basically means that we can get our morning coffee and pastry and have lunch out. In orange and red zones, all are closed with only delivery available.
All over the world, this latest wave is hitting hard. So, we share this information just to update you on Italy and the Veneto. We appreciate your continued support and concern. Are hearts are with you as you go through your COVID experience.
To keep spirits up, we want to continue to bring you information, wine, and local specialities. It’s time for some special Christmas offers, including a return of our holiday boxes AND a very special wine we made for you!
We are so excited about the response to our Amarone Wine Club – thank you! Our virtual tasting programs have also been a big hit, but are now paused given the restrictions in place. But, we can still get you holiday – and, schedule the virtual tastings as soon as the situation allows.
THE HOLIDAYS WILL BE DIFFERENT THIS YEAR
Yes, we are all facing different holidays this year. While we can’t do our holiday-themed Verona Christmas walking tour this year, get your Italian-holiday fix from our blog: Verona Christmas Traditional: sights, sounds, and tastes.
And get your order in for our Christmas Box!
After such a difficult year, we found ourselves longing to share something very special with our friends all over the world. Since it was primarily wine that brought us all together, we made our first wine. A baby amarone lovingly named NOI to represent our deepened friendship and determination this year demanded. It started with us, but is dedicated to us all. NOI.
- Only 200 bottles!
- Vintage 2016.
- Tasting Notes: Sweet aromas of raspberries, currants and wild strawberries joined by notes of vanilla and floral hints of red roses seduce the nose.Compact in the mouth with extraordinary balance. The alcohol content is offset by the freshness and savory dry tannins accompany with a happy return of jammy fruit at the very end.
Corvina 70% Rondinella 20% Corvinone 10%.
Food & Wine: Pairings & Recipes
We’ve developed a list of our favorite local pairings, complete with recipes!
- Braised pork with creamed aubergine, sage potatoes and creamed peppers. Pairing: Amarone.
- Veronese stew. Pairing: Valpolicella Superiore Classico.
- Tuna, potatoes and Belgian endive. Pairing: Prosecco, Pinot Grigio, and more!
Stay well, friends.
We look forward to welcoming you in 2021.
Sara & Virginia